WEEK 5 OF ACTION: CHILD ABUSE AWARENESS
A report of child abuse is made every 10 seconds. National Child Abuse Prevention Month is a time to acknowledge the importance of families and communities working together to prevent child abuse and neglect, and to promote the social and emotional well-being of children and families.
This April marks the 40TH anniversary of the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act, and we encourage our community to share awareness and advocate for the innocent children that are abused or neglected every day.
- Over 50,000 children are victims of child abuse and neglect in Florida each year.
- Almost 4 children die every day as a result of child abuse.
- More than 70% of the children who died as a result of child abuse or neglect were two years of age or younger, 80% were not old enough for kindergarten.
- 80% of child maltreatment fatalities involve at least one parent as the perpetrator.
- The United States has one of the worst records among industrialized nations- losing 4-7 children EVERY SINGLE DAY to child abuse and neglect. That is roughly ¼ of a child’s elementary school class.
Children who experience child abuse and neglect are 9 times more likely to become involved in criminal activity. 14% of all men in prison and 36% of women in prison in the USA were abused as children, this is approximately twice the occurrence seen in the mass population.
These trends will only change if the community rallies to open discussions on an uncomfortable issue that affects us all. Research shows that adverse childhood events, such as physical abuse, sexual abuse and neglect can create instability in relationships, workplace performance and even health.
The Florida Abuse Hotline accepts reports 24 hours a day and 7 days a week of known or suspected child abuse, neglect, or abandonment and reports of known or suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation of a vulnerable adult. To make a report you can –
- report online at https://reportabuse.dcf.state.fl.us/
- call 1-800-962-2873
- If you suspect or know of a child or vulnerable adult in immediate danger, call 911.
Imagine a community where all children are wanted and nurtured in safe environments with their physical, emotional and educational needs met. It can happen in Palm Beach County. We can create a brighter future for our children. Child abuse is preventable.
Let’s Do This
Please share with us how you made your week count. No, it doesn’t need to take place on Monday – Monday just gets us excited about what the week has to offer, what we (ourselves) have to offer.
- Follow us on:
- Look for the weekly theme on all of our social media throughout the day on Mondays
- Photograph, video, post, tweet about your experience
- Remember to tag @PBUnitedWay and use the weekly hashtags
We have an AWESOME community, let’s embrace it, make an impact — IT’S MONDAY, LET’S DO THIS!