WEEK 11 OF ACTION: TREAT THE HOMELESS WITH DIGNITY
HOMELESS… NOT HOPELESS… NOT HEARTLESS
We all do it, we see the homeless person on the corner with a sign saying ANYTHING WILL HELP; and immediately, the windows roll up, we pretend we are on the phone, maybe even switch lanes- because it is uncomfortable for us.
The truth is; it is uncomfortable and embarrassing for them, they see the looks we give or the lack of acknowledgement, as if they are futile or insignificant, or the misconception that they should go get a job — most people don’t want to be homeless, and sadly many do have a job(s).
The depressing truth is that at any point in time in Palm Beach County, there are 1,421 homeless individuals and families counted. 3,248 school-age children were identified as homeless in April 2015. For the majority of the homeless, they were just like us. These are people living in their cars because they missed their rent, they left an abusive relationship and were left with nothing, they were diagnosed with an illness, or they are just not making ends meet with the wages they earn, the amount of affordable housing, or the circumstances present in their lives. These are people that were making it and in the blink of an eye, it was gone.
“Do not judge by appearances; a RICH HEART may be under a POOR COAT.”- Scottish Proverb
Sometimes we are weary because there are people out there that are just trying to scam people, people that choose to be homeless or are homeless because of a habit. Recognize that not all fit that mold, and that many are just trying to make it in our community.
AWARENESS TO ADVOCATES
There are many ways to spread awareness and advocate for the homeless.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen and you will be surprised by what you learn.
- Look a homeless person in the eye, show consideration, be polite and smile, say hello.
- Make and give out Homeless Care Packages with much needed items for the homeless and keep in your car.
- If you are unable to help, simply state “I am sorry that I am unable to help today”, instead of awkwardly ignoring them.
Let’s Do This
Please share with us how you made your week count. No, it doesn’t need to take place on Monday – Monday just gets us excited about what the week has to offer, what we (ourselves) have to offer.
- Follow us on:
- Look for the weekly theme on all of our social media throughout the day on Mondays
- Photograph, video, post, tweet about your experience
- Remember to tag @PBUnitedWay and use the weekly hashtags
We have an AWESOME community, let’s embrace it, make an impact — IT’S MONDAY, LET’S DO THIS!