WEEK 16 OF ACTION: SUN SAFETY
1 PERSON DIES FROM MELANOMA EVERY HOUR
A PERSON’S RISK FOR MELANOMA DOUBLES IF THEY HAVE HAD MORE THAN 5 SUNBURNS AT ANY AGE
We live in a DANGER ZONE- one of the highest UV levels in the nation! July is UV Safety month, and living in South Florida, makes it even more essential to make ourselves knowledgeable about the effects of the sun in the Sunshine State.
- 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime
- Women are 50% more likely to apply sunscreen than men
- Baby’s skin can burn within 10 minutes
- Melanoma – the deadliest kind- is the most common cancer in people ages 15-39
We love the sun, that’s why we live here, the sun keeps us happy, we reap the benefits of vitamin D, boosts fertility and immune system, but the need to protect ourselves from the sun is more and more prevalent. Overexposure, under protection, and damage from the sun’s UV rays all link to eye problems, weakened immune system, age spots, wrinkles, leathery skin, and skin cancer.
Bottom line, BE SMART, know the effects, and PROTECT YOURSELF and your family from the sun.
Stay in the shade as much as possible between peak hours of 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., if you can’t avoid it, dress with care and lather up with sunscreen.
Let’s Do This
Please share with us how you made your week count. No, it doesn’t need to take place on Monday – Monday just gets us excited about what the week has to offer, what we (ourselves) have to offer.
- Follow us on:
- Look for the weekly theme on all of our social media throughout the day on Mondays
- Photograph, video, post, tweet about your experience
- Remember to tag @PBUnitedWay and use the weekly hashtags
We have an AWESOME community, let’s embrace it, make an impact — IT’S MONDAY, LET’S DO THIS!