WEEK 44 OF ACTION – HUMAN TRAFFICKING AWARENESS
January is Human Trafficking Awareness month. Human trafficking is a form of modern-day slavery in which traffickers use force, fraud, or coercion to control victims for the purpose of engaging in commercial sex acts or labor services against his/her will.
Trafficking doesn’t just happen in “other” countries – it happens in the United States, Florida and even in Palm Beach County. Worldwide it is estimated that 21 million children, women and men are caught in the cycle of trafficking. vFlorida is the 3rd in the nation for human trafficking across the United States, and Palm Beach County ranks 3rd among all counties with the highest incidence of calls.
Human Trafficking Facts
- An estimated 14,500-17,500 people are trafficked into the United States each year, and 50% are children (Department of Justice)
- The average age of entry into prostitution for a child victim of sex trafficking is 12-14 years old (Department of Justice)
- 1 in 3 teens on the street will be lured toward prostitution within 48 hours of leaving home (National Runaway Hotline)
- Total yearly profits generated by human trafficking are $32 billion – specifically, trafficking for sexual exploitation generates $28 billion per year (Florida Dream Center)
- Human trafficking is the fastest growing and third largest organized criminal activity, behind only drug and arms trade (Florida Dream Center)
If you suspect possible human trafficking, contact the following:
- Call the National Human Trafficking 24 Hour Hotline: 888-373-7888
- Call the U.S. Department of Justiceto report a trafficking or involuntary servitude: 888-428-7581
- Call 9-1-1 for immediate danger
- Florida Abuse Hotline at 800-96-ABUSE
It’s Monday – Let’s DO THIS!
Please share with us how you made your week count. No, it doesn’t need to take place on Monday, Monday just gets us excited about what the week has to offer, what we (ourselves) have to offer.
- Follow us on:
- Look for the weekly theme on all of our social media throughout the day on Mondays
- Photograph, video, post, tweet about your experience
- Remember to tag @PBUnitedWay and use the weekly hashtags
We have an AWESOME community, let’s embrace it, make an impact – SO HELLO MONDAY, LET’S DO THIS!